Ever lay in bed tossing and turning for hours? It can be a hard job settling down at the end of a busy day with so many things on our mind. I’ll show you how to sleep better naturally by giving you my top 10 ways to sleep better.
- Yoga, pray or meditate with deep breathing to help wind your brain and body down. You can find many free bedtime yoga on youtube.com.
- A sound machine helps people of all ages sleep better. It blocks out outside sounds and helps your body relax without distraction. We use this one.
- Leave your cell phone in another room, turn off your cell phone, or put it on silent (put it upside down so the lights don’t eliminate your room when you get a text message). Cell phones are a major distraction to sleep.
- Set a bedtime routine to help you wind down and go to bed at the same time every night. Our brains will be conditioned to associate our bedtime routine with getting sleepy especially at the same time each night just like when we were kids. I know we all don’t want to have a bedtime on weekends. Our body likes the consistency of a bedtime – it will make it easier to fall asleep.
- Avoid screen time one hour before bed. Read a book or do some yoga before bed. It will help you wind down. Watching some of the dramatic shows on TV show before bed would make anyone have a hard time going to sleep.
- Minimize lights by using room darkening curtains and shades. Avoid night lights if possible.
- Exercise during the day at least 5 hours before bedtime. The physical activity helps to make you tired but if you do it too close to bedtime it can actually make it harder for you to fall asleep.
- Tea such as chamomile, lemongrass or my favorite Sleepytime blend. This can be worked into your bedtime routine.
- Magnesium taken before bed it naturally helps to calm you, make you sleepy, and have a better night sleep. I sleep very soundly when I take this before bed. Most people are magnesium deficient. There is a whole list of reasons you should take magnesium daily. I prefer the magnesium powder – you just mix it in warm water until it stops fizzing.
- Melatonin taken before bed works wonders if the magnesium doesn’t do the trick and you still need help falling and staying asleep. It is super cheap and works so well. Start with a low dose such as 3 mg. If you take too much it can make you drowsy.
- Bonus – Valerian Root is another great natural sleep aid. When alternated with melatonin it can help decrease your resistance to melatonin and valerian root.
Benefits of getting enough sleep
- Keep your mind sharp – mental clarity
- Improves immune system so you get sick less often
- Helps keep cortisol levels low to avoid weight gain – lack of sleep can make you hungrier during the day
- Less irritability and moodiness – people with insomnia are 5 times more likely to develop depression
- Combats the aging process to regenerate your skin overnight. You’ll be smarter! You need adequate sleep to convert things you learned throughout the day to your memory